by William Hill | Nov 27, 2018 | Daily Roundup
Here are the items and resources of interest for November 27, 2018:
NOTE: If you are interested in receiving my monthly newsletter, please fill out the information at the bottom of the page.
** The Daily Roundup is published Monday-Friday at 9 AM ET **
by William Hill | Feb 14, 2018 | Daily Roundup
Here are the items and resources of interest for February 14, 2018:
- In recent days, I have had reason to think about the subject of church membership vows. In my opinion, and one born from years in a Presbyterian church both as a member and now a minister, I am convinced that some people do not take them very seriously. Here are some articles on the subject:
- The membership vows of the PCA (The Presbyterian Church in America – my denomination) are:
- Do you acknowledge yourself to be a sinner in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourself to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?
- The membership vows of the OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church) are:
- Do you believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the Word of God, and its doctrine of salvation to be the perfect and only true doctrine of salvation?Do you believe in one living and true God, in whom eternally there are three distinct persons—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit—who are the same in being and equal in power and glory, and that Jesus Christ is God the Son, come in the flesh?
- Do you confess that because of your sinfulness you abhor and humble yourself before God, that you repent of your sin, and that you trust for salvation not in yourself but in Jesus Christ alone?
- Do you acknowledge Jesus Christ as your sovereign Lord, and do you promise that, in reliance on the grace of God, you will serve him with all that is in you, forsake the world, resist the devil, put to death your sinful deeds and desires, and lead a godly life?
- Do you promise to participate faithfully in this church’s worship and service, to submit in the Lord to its government, and to heed its discipline, even in case you should be found delinquent in doctrine or life?
- Some articles on the subject:
- Right and Wrong Ways to Pray — an interesting article by Clint Archer.
- The Looming Debate Over SSA — an article written by Dr. Richard Phillips of Second Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Greenville SC. By the way, SSA is shorthand for Same-Sex Attraction.
- I have often said that “gossip and slander will destroy a church faster than false teaching.” I have said it to others one-on-one. I have said it in Bible studies. I have said it in sermons. It is a fact. This article details the destructive nature of the tongue.
- Why Hospitality is Vital to Church Planting — It is not only vital to church planting, it is essential for any church and it ought to be practiced by those in the church. Sadly, it is often neglected.
BOOK RECOMMENDATION: I am currently reading Practical Religion by J.C. Ryle and highly recommend it to my readers. It will not disappoint. It will challenge and convict.
- I bought a battery pack for my devices because I got tired of searching for an outlet when at meetings, conferences or wherever. This article by Lifehacker will help you decide which one you need.
- The Apple HomePod – A review by Chris Velazco of Engadget. Forbes also has a review.
- If you use OneNote, you will want to install this add-on. By the way, OneNote is FREE. I use it daily, and I also have the add-on installed. Works perfectly and this add-on is a great tool.
** The Daily Roundup is published Monday-Friday at 9 AM ET. **
by William Hill | Dec 4, 2017 | Daily Roundup
Subscribe to The Parchment by registering here
, and you will get updates on articles and posts directly in your email. Additionally, you can subscribe to the monthly newslette
r to receive updates on the ministry at Fellowship Presbyterian Church
(PCA) in Newport TN as well as happenings around the Hill home
. The newsletter registration is easy and located at the bottom of this post.
UPDATE: I have not been very faithful in getting these resources out to my readers. As a pastor, I have much on my plate. However, I am endeavoring to do better in the future. I do not know the benefit that these resources are bringing to my readers. I would appreciate a few comments (and/or suggestions) if they are helpful to you.
Here are the items and resources of interest for December 4, 2017:
- Upcoming Puritan Movie — Dr. Joel Beeke of Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary has announced an upcoming released of Reformation Heritage Books.
- Tim Challies has released a video (with a transcript) on “Seven Marks of a False Teacher.” In this day and age the church of the Lord Jesus Christ is plagued with many who are merely wolves in sheep’s clothing. We must be discerning and we must be on constant guard against those who would lead us astray.
- The issue of intinction is no plaguing many churches. The Presbyterian Church in America, the denomination in which I am an ordained minister, is not without this problem. It is biblically wrong. It is a violation of the vows ministers take when they commit to the Westminster Standards. Joe Thorn writes on this very subject.
- As a pastor, I wrestle with this question often. One one hand I value my wife’s input as well as being able to simply “get things off my chest.” On the other hand, there are things I cannot tell her. This article is helpful. Written by Dave Harvey.