Here are the items and resources of interest for September 4, 2018:
NOTE: See under “technology” for an item for sale.
- You Can’t Love Jesus Without Loving His Church — The matter is serious today. People seem to think they can, and they are in error. This article by Jason Allen.
- Learn more about John Owen — This article by Michael Haykin.
- Church membership vows — Sadly, some in the church (I am a minister in the Presbyterian Church in America) seem to think their membership vows are items they can dismiss whenever they feel like it. I would encourage those individuals to read Eccl. 5:1-7. Whenever an individual desires to join the church of which I pastor, I am careful to explain the membership vows to them. I go over each one. I elaborate and ask them questions. I then discuss the serious nature of these vows. I have yet to meet a person who then declines to take them. However, I have met many who determine to break them. Another article worth reading on this matter is offered by Jean F. Larroux, III on the Southwood Presbyterian Church website.
- I have been known to preach for 50-55 minutes. To be honest, that is probably too long for most congregations. In my current call, I have been encouraged by my elders to try to keep my sermons around 30 minutes. That has been a struggle. I still find myself in the vicinity of 40 minutes. This article by Kevin DeYoung is worth your time, especially if you are a pastor who preaches regularly.
- Columns from TableTak Magazine for September — These are always worth reading.
- Review: The Westminster Confession of Faith — I first read The Confession when I was twenty years old. I asked myself, “Where has this been my whole life!?” I love The Standards and desire others to embrace the rich truths of the Reformed Faith as articulated by them.
- Abandoning the Seeker Sensitive Movement — Read the experience of one pastor who left this movement.
- Why You Should Go To Church When You Don’t Feel Like It — This article by Justin Taylor.
** The Daily Roundup is published Monday-Friday at 9 AM ET **
- I am considering selling my Surface Pro 3. It is a Windows 10 home; 64 GB SSD with 4 GB RAM and a 64 GB SD Card. It comes complete with a keyboard cover and Surface Pen. It is in pristine condition. I will not accept any offer below $400, and you will need to pay for the shipping. Images below. Leave a message here if interested.